Group Project 3

Last week lots of focus was put into getting an IOS build up and running. It was very time consuming as the Mac not only needed to update but it was running painfully slow, so installing the various tools took a very long time. It didn’t help that i needed ro reinstall Unity a few times as i initially had the wrong version, after that i had to reinstall once again as i could not get the IOS build package to install.

Following the trouble with getting everything installed, i spent the next few hours banging my head against the wall trying to build the XCode project using my free Apple ID. I was following this guide by Unity however the errors and buttons that the guide said should appear were not there for me and upon searching for the errors i was getting, all that i could find was posts made many years ago informing me that i needed to purchase a developer lisence (which the guide said was not needed for a test build).

The trouble i’ve had up until now regarding an IOS release has caused a lot of stress and i am now considering, for the sake of the game, no longer releasing on IOS and bringing forward either the android or PC releases.

I also swapped my Group project work on wednesday with my ILP work from thursday as i had recently been talking about shaders with one of my lecturers and i felt that it would be better for me to work on that while it was fresh on my mind and to finish the sprint the next day.

This week i will not be running a sprint as per my usual week so that i can focus on my written work. I am aware that this is a sizeable chunk of valuable time to be missing from the project, especially as i am now working on the polishing phase but i know from past experience that due to my learning disabilities that i need to allocate more time to written assignments and as the deadline approaches i feel it is more important to get a head start elsewhere so that i do not sacrifice marks on my other modules. I will however be playtesting the latest build at this week’s Ipswich Game Developer Meetup; If you are coming along i would love to get your feedback.

Group Project 2

Development went well this week, I have adjusted my sprint to run from monday to wenesday as I no longer need to work on Visual Scripting on Tuesday.

The UX changes I have made are small however they really make the game look and feel miles better than before and I now have the correct rights to the fonts in the game.

I also wrote a questionnaire for playtesters to give feedback on, I have learned that as i am in a university that questionnaires must be vetted by a Research Ethics board so that is being dealt with today to assure that my form is OK.

Somewhat worryingly I have previously written feedback questionnaires during my BA here and I and my classmates had not been aware of this, i am unsure of whether this is a big problem but i do now know this is the case and how to get it to the board.

Next week I will be adding analytics back in, using Google Firebase. I will also be working on more UX improvements as well as continuing to work on the IOS build.

Capture

Group Project – 1

This week I felt that I had lost direction with the project however after a meeting with my course leader where we discussed the current state of the game and critically analysed the game objectively, through the eyes of a new player, I now have a good idea of the direction I need to move the project in.

The reason for my loss of direction is likely due to the game surpassing my original vision and clouding what really needs to be happening to turn my game, a minimal viable product, into a great game. The discussion has allowed me see what needs to happen now that the polishing phase has begun.

In the next sprint i will begin the polishing phase of the game. My tasks are focussed on streamlining the user experience and removing aspects of the game that are left over from the original game jam submission that are no longer correct.

Capture