Optimising The Debug Cubes

As I mentioned in the last post, Spawning cubes using the Vertex list was very slow at the higher detail levels due to there being multiple vertices overlapping, such is the nature of meshes. I Will likely not be using the raw vertices for very long however as a small exercise I wrote a small function to remove duplicate vectors from the array, and the results were very successful.

The function runs through all of the vectors in the input array, Checks whether the new array already contains it, if not it gets added to the new list. The new list is then returned.

VertListOptimisation

I also tidied up the level blueprint when adding in the new function by using a sequence, this serves no purpose other than to make the code look nicer and easier to read. I also added a “Print Text” node to write the number of vectors in the list to the screen.

OptimisedCubeSpawning

Firstly I ran the level with the optimisation node disconnected so that I could see both how long it took to run and note down the number of vectors, Then I reconnected the node and ran again, taking note of the number of vectors.

The results were really impressive, Without the optimisation it took ages to start the level and it was incredibly laggy, this was down to the 55,296 cubes that were spawned in, many of which were overlapping each other. With the optimisation it started almost immediately with only a little frame lag and an impressive 9,409 cubes spawned. I will also make it clear that there were the same number of cubes visible so I had only removed duplicate cubes.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s